Your sister’s wedding is coming up or that pesky high school reunion invite is still sitting on your counter; you want to make a good impression and lose those lingering pounds. These kinds of events are great motivations for weight loss!
However, they are not an excuse to lose important nutrients and muscle through fad diet pills that promise unattainable results or dangerously low caloric intakes. There is a safe and effective way to lose weight quickly, and, more importantly, to keep that weight off! Through incorporating these tips and advice it is possible to lose three pounds per week while learning the skills to maintain your new weight.
A Professional Opinion
Neither the FDA nor professionals approve too many quick-fix diets. Why? Because they put your body in jeopardy. However, lowering your calories per day to a minimum (yet safe) amount in conjunction with regular exercise can not only build lean muscle, but also help you shed the weight. The MD in charge of the TV hit, The Biggest Loser, maintains that with the right diet and exercise, everything is possible. You can safely lose three pounds per week (with a possibility of more your first week). If you lower your normal calorie-intake by even 500, and then work hard to burn off more calories than you consume, you will start to notice a difference in the first few days. The lowest level of calories per day should never dip below 1,050. Any pill or diet that requires you to consume less poses a threat to your body.
Once you reduce your calories, you can work on the exercise portion. Many people have a problem committing to hours of workouts per day. That is completely understandable. Something that may work to your advantage is an interval workout. Set the timer for 10 minutes and the resistance to high. Take a break and repeat 3 or 4 times. This will make your metabolism work harder and burn more calories. This combination of intense exercise and reduced (yet healthy) eating will leave you feeling energized and healthy.
While diet and exercise will always win over fad diets, these are further tips that will help you get ready for that special occasion.
- Write down what you eat – This will make you accountable to yourself and will, surprisingly, be a quick way to cut back on a few things.
- Drink water – substitute your sugary or high-caffeine drinks that will sneakily add those extra calories. Water also assists in burning calories
- Weigh yourself – sometime during the week designate a time (same each week) to weigh in and see how you are doing. Keep in mind that weight can fluctuate so don’t get discouraged.
- Pre-Portion – eat regular meals and healthy, pre-portioned snacks. This will help curb your hunger
- Remove temptation – clean out your pantry and fridge of any sweets or high-fat foods that might tempt you.
- Don’t give up – if you make a mistake or miss a day of exercise that is NOT the end! Don’t go back to old habits, just restart tomorrow and always believe in yourself!
It is natural to see commercials and think; ‘I could stand to lose 10 pounds this week!’ But don’t be fooled by gimmicks. You want to lose the weight and keep it off! Create new habits for yourself that will allow you to lose weight quickly and be safe and healthy for your body. You will love how you feel as you incorporate these diet and exercise tips into your daily life!